Re: Spreading the word (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Want to present at LINUXWOR

--

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:25:05
 zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] wrote:
>Douglas Loss wrote:
>ur organization focuses on educational applications for
>> Linux below university level.  I don't know how we would cater
>> to businesses--try to convince them there's money to be made in
>> putting Linux into the schools?  _That'd_ be a hard sell!
>> There's not much money to be made in educational consulting in
>> _any_form.
>
>That is not true. The edu consulting business is a niche, but a
>lucrative one for the oligarchy of players on the scene.  At least two
>had come to VA looking for expertise in doing large scale projects for
>school districts (one for an entire state at the secondary level).  So
>it's there, but it is still a business/industry orientation. Those magic
>buzzwords like 'solutions' and return on investment still apply.

I fully agree. It is not consulting per se, but providing solutions.  Many school districts has over $100 million budget annually, and about 10% is devoted to data processing, instruction support, etc.  Some of them signed up multi-year mutli-million with blackboard, which I think is overpaying   for a mediocer product.  We need to get above each machine and look at the whole picture.

J.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!