Re: [seul-edu] resend- Linux -- the Free, Fast OS Still Has aLong Way to Go. (full text attached)

> At 06:43 a.m. 06/08/01 -0700, you wrote:
>
> This complexity becomes necessary when an administrator delegates
> responsibility to sub-administrators. Currently, delegating such
> administrative responsibility requires sharing the root account, which is
> providing too much power to a sub-administrator.

I won't bother with the rest of the post, but this is clearly false.  Linux (and
Unix in general) has always encouraged the use of special accounts (like "backup")
that had permission to do only one thing.  This can be done by creating a special
group (in this case, "backup") and making just the required accounts members, then
doing a chgrp on the specific files needed to give them to the special group at the
needed permission level.

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people