[seul-edu] Hello! (My introduction)

As directed by the Welcome message, I am introducing myself.

I am interested in this list for a few reasons:

I teach Unix, Linux and BSD night classes at a local community college's
Applied Technology Training Center. My last class was "Introduction to
Linux Administration" which was a beginning overview of installing and
setting up Linux and BSD. My next class is "Unix Shell Essentials"; it
just covers normal user (not superuser) commands, shells, customizations,
and system hierarchy.

So I am interested in curriculum and discussing ideas on how to better
teach these type of courses.

I sometimes provide customized, on-site BSD and open source training. My
training has included: FreeBSD installations, basic shell usage, X
configuration, DNS, BIND/named configurations, beginning kernel
configurations (FreeBSD) and IPFW and NATd (FreeBSD). I am interested in
discussing ideas on how to better teach open source administration.

I am extremely interested in developing certifications for BSD. I have
done tons of research and planning, including talking with the four major
testing centers. It can cost well over $5,000 per month to get
started. (So time to work on funding.)

And my wife and I are beginning to homeschool our five-year-old son. I am
interested in discussing, programming and finding software that can help
teach my son(s). Such as software to teach and practice basic math,
reading, and phonetics (actual talking). We have several Windows-type
educational programs, but my son's computer runs Debian Linux :)

One idea I have is to make a simple X program that displays several words
(or phrases)  and (using Ogg Vorbis format) says one of the words (or
phrases). My student can click on the correct choice or click a button to
say the phrase again. (I need to find a program that can chop up a long
recording of a bunch of words into several separate ogg files.)

I look forward to lurking on this list. Hopefully, I can learn some good
pointers and contribute.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/