[seul-edu] Need advice with LCD projector

To anybody,
    My school just received a donation of a Sharp XG-E850U projector. It has
composite, BNC, and 15 pin VGA, with a choice of digital or analog. The
resolution is only 640x480. (For free, I can live with that!) It's several
years old and came without a manual. It displays just fine in text mode
using the 15 pin analog input.
    I know the graphics mode would work fine with Windoze, but I want to use
it with Gnome under Linux (RedHat 7.1) to do presentations. I can't figure
out what answer to give in Xconfigurator for the monitor type. No matter
what I try, I get the message that there is a problem with the X
configuration. I can't locate info on the internet about horizontal and
vertical sync frequencies. Can anybody help?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com