[seul-edu] automake, autoconf, and libtool

I'm looking for help on libtool and how it interacts with automake and
autoconf.  I'm trying to separate the internals of the GPeriodic
project.  I'd like to create a libperiodic.so that contains the table
data and C functions to access the data, and have the GUI and command
line interfaces use the library as a database.

I have had a few requests from external projects for integration, and I
thought a shared library approach would be a good approach to
modularizing the package for easy integration into external projects.

I've tried adding AM_PROG_LIBTOOL to the configure.in, and have tried
adding a few things to the Makefile.am (periodiclib_LTLIBRARIES =
libperiodic.la, libperiodic_la_SOURCES = gpdata.c, etc), but I haven't
yet been able to get it to build the shared library.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on how I should be using
libtool.  There's a lot of documentation in the info files and I haven't
gone through it very thoroughly yet, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Kyle

Wisdom and Compassion are inseparable.
        -- Christmas Humphreys