Re: Developers tools?

> Probably, this is wrong list to ask, but I'd really like people
> to collect data not only on  ready-made  educational  programs,
> but on development tools, suitable to write them.
>
> These tools  must  be  something  visual,  because  educational
> programs are multimedia oriented. And I hope you all agree that
> multimedia applications can be best written/drawen with  visual
> tools.
>
> My OSS finding so far are:
>
> - VisualTcl              (for building Tcl/Tk apps)
> - SpecTcl/Perl/Java      almost the same
> - Glade                  (for building Gtk apps in C)
> - FreeBuilder            (for Java, but I have not tried it)
>
> Non-OSS:
>
> - MetaCard      (proprietary format)
>
> But these programs (except for MetaCard) aren't  very  easy  to
> use for fast prototyping visual interface. (I am comparing with
> HyperCard)

I hate to say it, but I don't think anything else exists.  Everywhere I
look, I see people BEGGING for Delphi or C++Builder to be ported to
Linux.  Makes me wonder why Borland is so blind.

This is an ESSENTIAL area to get into eventually.  Glade and Visual TCL
definitely hold promise.  SpecTCL looks pretty good.  I played with it a
bit, but never really learned it.  Having had the unfortunate experience
of having to use Visual Basic at work, I can say that it really is an
infinitely easier way of making interfaces than writing a lot of code.
So far, nothing for Linux compares.  The first project that succeeds is
going to be famous.  (Or rich, if it's a commercial product.)  I'd glady
fork out $300 right now for a Perl/TK builder that was as easy to use as
VB.