Re: Example project idea

Hi,

This sounds like a really interesting idea.  I do have some questions
about what you've written below.

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Roman Suzi wrote:

>I just  think  I  can  try  to  organize  sample  OSS  project.
>Unfortunately, I don't have much time I can spend  on  it,  but
>the desire is very intensive.
>
>The idea (which is not original ouside open source) is to  make
>a native language tutor.
>
>For example, pupils will be faced by a word, couple of words or
>a sentence with some letters missing.
>
>They are expected to fill the gaps and receive some remark from
>the program, especially on typical errors.

Would it be a multiple choice type testing situation?  Reasons why one
word is better than another would be provided by the writers of the
questions.

Or would it be a fill in the blank?  Where the computer would have to
judge the appropriateness of the word entered.

Example problem (perhaps??):

The acceleration of the particle down the ___ include a component of
horizontal acceleration.

a) incline
b) decline
c) gulley
d) bottle

I know this isn't a great example, but it's what I have off the top of
my head.  This multiple choice test would be a kind of a
vocabulary builder.

If it's not like this, would we be looking at an antonym type testing?
Letting the student type anything into a blank would involve an
extensive dictionary.  Is this the idea?  (This sounds a lot like the
GRE I took a few weeks ago.)

>I have a non-OSS prototype for DOS, but I am not satisfied with
>it. It gives stupid diagnostics, confusing students.

Could I please get the name of this program.

>Now I am going to think about language  to  represent  problems
>in,  so  it  will  be  easier  converted  into  all  kinds   of
>front-ends.

Is this language that you refer to above the computer language, or the
written language?

>I also think the 'kernel' could be made in Perl - so we get the
>result faster.

Perl's usually a great idea <duck>.

Dan