Re: Edu howto idea.

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Bill Tihen wrote:

[snip]
> It's been a dream of mine to have a website that offers set-up instructions
> (How-tos) for schools.  In otherwords, not how to set up dosemu, but it
> includes how to setup dosemu, how to secure it -- special considerations
> for specific educational programs.  In otherwords how to accomplish a
> project and administer it.  Does this sound like a good idea?

Definatly :) Although some cross reference with the LDP would make this go
by a lot faster. I don't see a reason to rewrite some howtos from the
ground up if they already exist of course, but I also wouldn't like a
"forked" how-to, where there is the 'regular' copy of the howto and the
'educational' copy.  Education specific material could be covered in the
Educational howtos with references to the main howtos.

> Is there a place we could collect these How-tos?

If you just need a place to store them we can toss them out on ductape,
not to mention the SEUL-edu page :)

> Would it also be appropriate to collect curriculum, lecture notes and
> meaningful questions here?  (I guess that is pushing the limits of what
> this list/group is for -- but maybe Linux specific curriculum -- for
> example.  A classroom tutorial for Gimp or StarOffice, CorrelOffice, and of
> course the educational programs we create).  Just ideas.

Units for using shells, lynx, pine, ftp, creating a web page with Apache
web server, compiling gcc, g++, pascal, lisp, etc. Although I only see
that material requiring a week at higher grade levels, I for one would
like to see material learned quickly :)

> If there is interest and a place to store it, I could document what I
> discover as I set up my equipment.

I'm still trying to document what I know :) It's a lot of work but well
worth it I believe.  I'd like to know how Roman configured PLIP or
whatever for his 'poor mans network' because losing knowledge just b/c
it's not used is how lost arts develop.

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/