Re: Edu howto idea.

Bill Tihen writes:
>These ideas are great.  I'll start experimenting.  It sounds like it will
>be quite a bit of work to come up to speed on the various issues.  It's
>been a dream of mine to have a website that offers set-up instructions
>(How-tos) for schools.  In otherwords, not how to set up dosemu, but it
>includes how to setup dosemu, how to secure it -- special considerations
>for specific educational programs.  In otherwords how to accomplish a
>project and administer it.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Is there a
>place we could collect these How-tos?  It seems to me that this would be a
>good way to encourage schools to use Linux.  Make it easy to setup from the
>perspective of teachers/administrators -- and even if it's not easy, at
>least spelled out.

I believe we need to have several additional groups in order to keep things
organized and focused. One I would suggest would be 'Documentation'. There
have been several people interested in doing something like documentation.

>Would it also be appropriate to collect curriculum, lecture notes and
>meaningful questions here?  (I guess that is pushing the limits of what
>this list/group is for -- but maybe Linux specific curriculum -- for
>example.  A classroom tutorial for Gimp or StarOffice, CorrelOffice, and of
>course the educational programs we create).  Just ideas.

Documentation is important and unfortunately too little gets done. I don't
think storage is a big problem. Although they are interrelated, I think the
programming effort and the documentation effort should be in separate groups
since the skills and focus are different. Those who want can subscribe to both
groups.

>If there is interest and a place to store it, I could document what I
>discover as I set up my equipment.

Do it. I'm sure a place can be found.

1999 The Year Of Linux
Make It Happen