Re: Edu howto idea.

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Wil Langford wrote:

>I've got the first draft of the Pointers and Wishes page up.  It's at
><http://www.seul.org/edu/edu-software.html>.  Your comments, suggestions
>and criticisms are welcomed.

There is also ucblogo available on Linux:

Name        : ucblogo                     Distribution: Red Hat Linux Biltmore
Version     : 4.0                               Vendor: Soos Peter <sp@osb.hu>
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Mon Jun 23 00:38:31 1997
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: pimpa.osb.hu
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM: ucblogo-4.0-2.src.rpm
Size        : 526118
Packager    : Soos Peter <sp@osb.hu>
Summary     : Berkeley Logo interpreter
Description :
Berkeley Logo interpreter for Unix and X.
Features *not* found in Berkeley Logo include robotics, music, GUIs, animation,
parallelism, and multimedia.  For those, buy a commercial version.

bh@anarres.cs.berkeley.edu (Brian Harvey)
ftp://ftp.anarres.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/ucblogo

Plus, you should point to educational Java  programs  as  well,
IMHO. They are... oh... I forgot where I saw A  VERY  HUGE  and
versatile Java programming site... There were many  edutainment
programs! Anybody remembers?

Is the URL permananent or it will be changed soon? (I  want  to
add link on my page to it).

As a criticism, I must say that in Edu developers tools
Description must be split into two parts:

- tools which we dream about
- tools which are already here

I have also seen one new dev tool on freshmeet yesterday:

   Korfe 0.2.0
   Korfe provides a quick and easy to use a 100% visual front end for
   developing user interfaces via Java. It supports all of the major
   Swing components as well as your own custom beans, has support for the
   major layout managers, full undo/redo functionality, supports saving
   via a serialized file for later editing and will also generate Java
   code to build your GUI. Korfe also includes a powerful JPython
   scripting engine.

One more suggestion: pointers to rpms and debs if there are any...

I also think, there could  be  some  pointers  to  where  Linux
software depositaries reside:

http://sal.kachinatech.com
http://rufus.w3.org
http://freshmeet.net
http://members.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html
ftp://metalab.unc.edu

and others.

Why? Because wemust not assume  people  interested  in  Linux
eduware know these sites!!!

For example, it took me 1/2 year to find rufus!

Probably, there are other sites as well: I don't know  many  of
them.

Thanks for your effort!

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi