First attempt to install LINUX failed

We just got our first test computer and tried to install LINUX on it.
Everything works except X so far as I can tell. Here is the error
message I  get:

after many messages of everything apparently going fine it hits this:

SVGA mode "1280x1024" nees hsyncFreq of 64.25 KHz. deleted.
SVGA mode "1280x1024" nees hsyncFreq of 78.86 KHz. deleted.
SVGA mode "1280x1024" nees hsyncFreq of 81.13 KHz. deleted.

Fatal server error
No "Display" subsection for default depth 8.

Invalid vertical timing for mode 400x300. deleted.
X11 tranSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111 giving up
Xinit: Connection refused (errno111): unable to connect Xserver
Xinit: No such process (errno3): server error

---

The modes it was trying were higher than those I had asked for. I am
presently only using an old 14 inch monitor, so I told it to only try
800x600 during installation.

The system:
Celeron300a
64 megs of RAM
S3 Virge DX w/4megs
8.4 gig HD
SB64

The installation was Redhat 5.2 "EVERYTHING"
I had 3 gigs assigned to LINUX, and "everything" was only 822 megs, so I
went for it.

Any ideas on what I should do? Is there a file I should edit, or should
I just wipe it and try again?
begin:vcard
n:Glenn;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE