Re: [seul-edu] More details on LinuxCanada 2000 Expo

> I talked to Reuben Lando a little bit ago about our participation in
> LinuxCanada 2000.   We got the details on length of time and size of
> room for the seminar right; the seminar topic will officially be
> "Linux in education."  We'll need a 30-40 word description of the
> seminar, plus short bios of the presenters and a short description
> of SEUL/edu, for the show brochure.
     When are these required by?

> The show can provide a small honorarium and travel expenses, which
> we can put toward expenses for whoever needs it the most (for
> example, if Bruno came in from British Columbia or Odile came over
> from France, those of us from the NE US and Eastern Canada wouldn't
> feel right about drawing on those fees to cover our gasoline costs.
> Would we, guys? Guys?).
    Grin. Hey, if Odile or Hilaire or Bruno could make it, that would be
just excellent. Actually, if memory serves, there are a couple of SEUL
folks out in BC (Cary from the Settlers project). In any case, I expect
to be there, and I don't expect renumeration (particularly if said
renumeration could be used to get Odile or Hilare or Bruno or others out
to this event).

> Mr. Lando said that we'd have whatever
> audiovisual equipment we needed for our presentation.  I'm not clear
> on just what that means (Mr. Lando isn't technical.).  I asked about
> the possibility of videoconferencing, in case we wanted to include
> some remote members in our seminar, but I didn't get an idea of
> whether that would be feasible or not.
     Let's make sure that all of the 'slides' used in the SEUL-EDU
presentation are web ready before the conference, so that they can be on
the main site. We may also want to mirror cran or something so that we
have a local copy for the conference, as a fallback if the conference
doesn't offer net access. Having everything served locally will also
reduce lag time on the clients, which will increase the apparent speed
of the Xterm. :) Just a thought.

> Frankly, if this is to be a successful Linux expo I think some sort
> of network and internet access is de rigeur.  Anyway, I said that
> the booth would be for SEUL generally, not just SEUL/edu, and he
> thought that was fine.
     This is good, because it means that we can have all of the projects
represented. To this end, we should perhaps try to get as many SEUL
participants there as possible. We've already talked about the 'SEUL
Millenial Meeting,' so this would be a great opportunity to 'set the
course' for the next year or two.

> Roger, we should see which other SEUL projects if any would like to
> present something at this booth.  I'm sure SEUL/edu isn't the only
> one with interesting things to show, although if we're going to do
> Pete's idea of building X-terminals while people watch we'll
> probably need some elbow room.
     I was thinking more of having a single Xterm there, open wide and
running for all the world to see. However, if we _can_ get more space,
then sure, let's put a few Xterms together in front of people while they
watch.

     This may seem like a lot of work, but I sense that people are
getting really tired of the whole trade hype show thing where most
displays are just hyping vapourware. We have REAL apps and REAL
solutions for education, I just figure we should show them.

--
Pete St. Onge
pete@seul.org