Re: [seul-edu] New Linux distribution !

Roger R Dingledine wrote:

> > Odile Bénassy wrote:
> > >
> > > I you wish to have a look at
> > > "http://tiny.seul.org/",
> > > I've just put packages for a new Linux distribution called "TINY Linux"
> > >
> > Odile,
> >
> >    This needs to be announced on Freshmeat, Linux Weekly News,
> > LinuxToday, and comp.os.linux.announce.  Roger will help with that, I
> > have no doubt.  Actually, sending a message to seul-announce@seul.org
> > will probably accomplish the first three announcements.
>
> ok, yeah, i can send it to seul-announce, lwn, and linuxtoday. you'll
> have to do the freshmeat submit yourself, as well as send to cola.
>
> you're going to want an actual blurb for the announce (a paragraph or
> two), justifying why you made a new distrib, who your target audience
> is, etc. Be sure to pick a version number, so you can increment it later
> and so people can reference which version they're using.
>
> do you want a mailing list?
>
> you should make it very clear that you've considered the other several
> dozen distributions out there, and despite them you decided another one
> was necessary (and why).

I can still do that here, for SEUL/EDU members:
TINY Linux is a very special, very small Linux distribution.
You can install it with floppies, no need for a CDROM. But you can run
modern applications on it, as long as they do not demand KDE or GNOME.
And you do not need to be a Linux guru, installation is simple.
Therefore it is designed for old machines, for example in classrooms, in
poor countries...

I would be happy to share some of the work with some of you, folks.
There is lots to do with applications, select them, localize them, adapt
if necessary, make an easy install... any volunteer ?

--
Odile Bénassy,
"http://perso.magic.fr/obenassy/"