Re: [seul-edu] E-mail

If you are planning to use Outlook Express 5, it supports http mail and can
check hotmail directly, just as if it were a pop account.  Just select the
hotmail option in the second step when creating a new email account in outlook
exp. 5.  Yahoo mail supports pop clients such as netscape, outlook, eudora,
pine, etc.  Just login to yahoo mail and set the user preferences to be pop3.
Yahoo will provide you with the pop3 and smtp server.

I am the defacto tech at the high school where I teach and I setup an email
server using sendmail and fetchmail.  The server is an old 486 with 16 mb of
ram that only runs those two apps.  Sendmail directly delivers the mail from
each user.  All that was needed was to set the smtp server option in outlook
and netscape to point to the ip address of the mail server.  I use fetchmail to
download mail from each teacher's isp (if they have one) and filter it with
procmail into another pop3 account on the mail server.  Some of the teachers
and students still prefer to use hotmail, etc.

--
Chad Whitten
cwhitten@intop.net