Re: [seul-edu] Typical costs paid by school districtsfor software?

Chris Hobbs wrote:

> Schools here in California have the opportuinty to buy as part of a
> consortium, which allows small schools like mine to purchase MS, Apple,
> and Filemaker software as though we were buying in the 10,000+ license
> range, which is a real savings. I feel sorry for the
> suck^H^H^H^Hcustomers that must pay full boat for things like Office or
> the NT OS.
>
> Anyway, to make life easy on you, have a look at:
>
> http://ca-soft.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/pricing.htm

As I read it, the minimum cost for a workstation would be $10 for
Windows 98 and $19 for MS Office Pro V7.0B, for a total of $29/seat.
That doesn't include the cost of the server OS or software, or course.
This kind of cost comparison info will be very useful for justifying
Linux in schools on a cost/benefit basis, and helpful to me personally
as we prepare for the LinuxCanada seminar on education.  Could you,
Chris, (and anyone else who has equivalent information) work up the
figures on cost savings of Linux over other options and post them here?
Thanks.