Re: [seul-edu] Re: Web Site Prototype

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Chris Ellec wrote:

> Doug Loss wrote:
>
> > Michael Viron wrote:
> > >
> > > That's fine--it is very easy to fix that--I was planning on replacing the
> > > text menu along the side with graphics anyways.
> >
> > I _strongly_ advise against doing anything that's graphics only.  The

  Not everything was going to be graphics--and as stated before, with
appropriate alt tags, there isn't a problem.
whole point of HTML and the World Wide Web is to present information in
> > a pleasing way that degrades gracefully depending on the capabilities of
> > the user's browser.  Gratuitous use of graphics for elements that are
> > just as easily represented textually is the bane of many people using
> > text-only browsers.  These include the blind, people with less-powerful
> > systems (often in less developed countries), and web indexing programs.
> > Even if they don't constitute a large percentage of our reading
> > constituency, I feel we must be accessible to them.
> >

> And people with slow connection, or who pay their internet by the minute (in
> Europe for example).
>
> My threshold is about 10-15 seconds. If a web site doesn't start showing me
> something (anything !) after 15 seconds, they loose my business.
If I design graphics for a menubar I always make sure that they are at
most 1-2 k big---can't imagine that being a problem.

> Chris.

Mike