RE: [seul-edu] Re: Web Site Prototype

> > Michael Viron wrote:
> > >
> > > That's fine--it is very easy to fix that--I was planning on replacing
> the
> > > text menu along the side with graphics anyways.
> >
> > I _strongly_ advise against doing anything that's graphics only.  The
> > whole point of HTML and the World Wide Web is to present information in
> > a pleasing way that degrades gracefully depending on the capabilities of
> > the user's browser.  Gratuitous use of graphics for elements that are
> > just as easily represented textually is the bane of many people using
> > text-only browsers.  These include the blind, people with less-powerful
> > systems (often in less developed countries), and web indexing programs.
> > Even if they don't constitute a large percentage of our reading
> > constituency, I feel we must be accessible to them.
> The main reason for the graphics along the side for the menu-bar is to
> make sure that the text on the menu bar stays essentially the same size
> for people with larger monitors--if you use text, it becomes puny at like
> 1024 x 768.
	[Culp, David]  Yes, that does make a difference, I have a large
monitor and text is unreadable on many websites if I dont edit my
preferences and ask for a larger default font, which sometimes hinders the
formatting of a webpage.  HTML design is really frustrating.  To get the
same page to look the same on all browsers etc.....Its frustrating to get
the web page looking perfect on my system and then goto someone elses and it
looks horrible.  There should be a better way.

	David Culp