RE: [seul-edu] Re: perl or......

In regard to a GUI for TeX (for math), consider Mathematica.  Mathematica
has "palettes" of buttons (which are easily modified or created new) that
allow you to write real math quickly and easily.  What MS Word Equation
Editor should have been like.  My point is that Mathematica allows
"save-as-special" to TeX.

It is not free, but there are substantial student discounts.  I purchased
Mathematica 3.0, student editon, and the CD contained MS Win and Linux
versions.  Both worked very well.

Mathematica is also being used by Harvard, Ohio State (I think), and another
university (as a consortium) to provide extension courses for the lower
division calculus sequence via internet.  This is especially useful for
highschool students who wish to get a head start.  As a physics graduate
student I can assure you that success in Physics & Engineering classes at
the lower division level is highly dependent on one's math level.

One final word:  LaTex is revered by both the Physics department here
(WindowsNT-centric) and the Mathematics department (Apple-centric).  MS Word
is used to generate simple quizes and tests but not for publication.

Really, this is the last word: In regard to using TCL to write a LaTex menu
system for your text editor...consider that Vim (or GVim, the "graphical"
version) can be compiled to execute Python and Perl in a manner similar to
emacs' elisp.  Might provide for a tighter integration.  And do please email
me a beta copy...  :-)