Re: [seul-edu] Re: perl or......

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Thomas Tempé wrote:
> That's an interesting point of view.
>
> I'm certainly no TeXpert, nor have I seen the pre-GNU era; but I would be pleased to offer my 1-hour contribution to the world.
>
> However, I really don't see the need of yet another project for
> learning TeX. I've never bought a book on TeX, I've been learning LaTeX
> (not TeX) form open-source books (and even better, there are 2 pretty
> good ones in French!).

Well, with a bit of interest and will it can be learnt easily.
But, as I see,the easier way to learn is "by example", by
thousands of examples.

> When I have a question, I use the Info documentation, and I hear that grepping the FAQ is the ultimate source of information. It is said that typing "FAQ française" in any search engine on the internet gives you the French LaTeX FAQ as the first match.
>
> And not to be forgotten, LyX does provide some help for learning
>LaTeX.

That's true, I saw it once. LyX is not bad. And TeXmacs, a combination
of TeX and emacs is interesting too. But, it's necessary not
to confuse terms.

There're more typesetting systems, like lout. A bit more modern,
much less support, a bit easier to learn. More OO oriented.

> I also see something like the beginning of an informal community of LaTeX users build up in my university's small LUG (but only among students.
>Teachers don't mix with students clubs well).

Ha, ha,... Definetely!

> BTW, I assume LaTeX is what
>you should go for if you want to do typesetting without getting into the
>history of the influence of various political movements on the
>typesetting of spaces in your language. TeX is for the others.

More or less, :).  And you're not exagerating at all :)

> If you have plans for a better tool for learning LaTeX than what
> now exists, then please tell us. There has to be someone who draws a
>framework, so that others be able to spend just one hour on it and still
>improve the big picture.
>
> And have fun,

Very good, and logical answer,  I have to agree. The existing docs
suffice most of the times, and more if there's a non-newbee
around. And yes, I have to give a more coherent picture of it.
And glad you understand the key point: collaboration. Of course,
when it's more than a "vague" framework. Criticism starts at
oneself.

About the issue of "national" docs. Well, French and German
are very good, Dennis Girou for example has superb stuff for
PsTricks. And, I'd say that "national" docs, encourage people
to produce docs. That's another point about LaTeX, it's more
respectful with diversity.

I remember some definitions of the dictionary of Word (Spanish
version), poor
translations, rather insulting for women.

--
Regards/Saludos
Manolo