Re: [seul-edu] Re: [OS:N:] Re: Moving forward... - RE: Who do we contact?

jeremy hunsinger wrote:

> two things first:
> wouldn't it be better to have a series of application designs and
> specifications (read standards) that could be implemented in a variety
> of languages that could be implemented on a variety of software
> solutions.  For instance, while I might be more inclined to use a python
> or php implementation of a standard package, others might be inclined to
> use java, etc.  However, done correctly any implementation of the design
> should be able to use the same data.  just a thought.

As I see it, no.  Rather than trying to make Schoolforge a comprehensive site that all others defer to (an unattainable goal anyway), I'd like to see it as a central directory where people can come to easily connect to any educational resources they like.  In that situation, the Schoolforge link "News and Reports" (to make up a link) would be http://schoolforge.net/opensourceschools and would be a redirect to http://www.opensourceschools.org.  The individual sites would still retain their
autonomy and could use whatever tools they like.  The only time Schoolforge would directly host content would be when there wasn't another site hosting that content, and then the people implementing that content would choose whatever tool(s) they prefer to use.  That's just my idea, of course, but I think it's best not to get too specification-heavy before we actually do anything.  I still remember the IMS project, which started with heavy-duty specifications and so far as I know still hasn't
produced anything.

> We'd be happy to host whatever you want in terms of SEUL/edu at the
> center for digital discourse and culture, but I think to some extent the
> maintenance should be distributed.

As I said, we're thinking about it, but haven't actually made any decisions yet.  But thanks for the offer, Jeremy!

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people