Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Re: [OS:N:] Summing up our discussion so far]

Doug Loss wrote:

> owner-seul-edu@seul.org wrote:
>
> > From: "Drew M. Meeks" <drew@redhat.com>
> > To: Doug Loss <drloss@home.com>
> > Cc: seul-edu@seul.org, osn <open-source-now-list@redhat.com>,
> >         pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us, emily@redhat.com
> > Subject: Re: [OS:N:] Summing up our discussion so far
> >
> > Doug, I think you just stated the mission of Open Source Now quite
> > eloquently! Let me take this opportunity to reaffirm Red Hat's
> > committment to consolidating all of this wonderful activity that is
> > happening all over the web on the OSN web site. I agree wholeheartedly
> > with the goal or reducing duplication of effort and support the goal of
> > providing easy access to all of the resources and activities that are
> > underway across the country and around the world. Be assured, Red Hat is
> > in this for the long haul and now that the mission is becoming clear,
> > you will see a lot of movement from Open Source Now particularly on the
> > web front, but in other arenas as well..
> >
> > Drew

I'm unclear on what you mean here.  We all thank you and RedHat for your
support, of course.  Are you saying that RedHat is planning to consolidate a
lot of Linux in education stuff on the OSN website?  If so that's the first
I've heard that.  We're seeing this more as a coalition of independent groups,
all working toward the same or similar goals, rather than a consolidation and
centralization of resources.  It's our plan to invite everyone to participate
in the coalition and use existing groups and projects whenever we can, only
adding new ones when unaddressed areas become apparent which no existing
project is able to take on.  I suspect that's what you're thinking of too, but
that isn't completely clear from your message.

I understand the necessities of commercial competition, but is RedHat
interested in sharing support of this coalition with other distributions?
We're fairly adamant that our educational software be distro-agnostic, capable
of running on whatever version the users wish to install.  To that end I've
contacted Mandrake, SuSE, Conectiva, Turbolinux, Debian, and Slackware and
asked for their support for the coalition too.

--
Doug Loss                 Always do right.  This
Data Network Coordinator  will gratify some people