Re: [seul-edu] Link Management System

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:53:43PM -0600, Les Richardson wrote:
> Key point here being:
>
>   What OS does the server have that will run this software?
>

> The software currently runs MySQL for a back end, which is pretty simple to
> install...
>
> There are other options...

There is a lot of reinventing the wheel going on.

If you have a debian linux system run 'apt-cache search bookmark'
and look at the pile of returns.  Here's one that let's you
export a vanilla bookmark file (somehow - I've not tried it)
into a web page:

root@k9.maine.com:/var/src/cfo# apt-cache show bk2site
Package: bk2site
Section: web
Installed-Size: 993
Maintainer: Bradley Bell <btb@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:1.1.7-1
Depends: libwww-perl, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>= 1:2.95.4-0.010810), perl
Suggests: httpd, xbel-utils | netscape | mozilla
Filename: pool/main/b/bk2site/bk2site_1.1.7-1_i386.deb
Size: 254174
MD5sum: 1e9af69fa07a1a682c81fcbae800e64e
 bk2site will transform a Netscape bookmarks file (use xbel-utils to
 convert other formats) into a yahoo-like website with slashdot-like
 news. You can see an example website created with it at
 http://MultiAgent.com.
 .
 The program has several nice features:
 .
  Includes hit-counter and display feature (see which URLs are popular).
  Includes integrated cgi-bin search.pl program.
  Nice-looking output.
  Powerful customization.
  Inserts navigation information into the top of each page.
  Puts a "new" icon next to new entries.
  Supports any other icon(s) (e.g., cool.gif, hot.gif) you might want to show.
  Puts New Additions on the front page.
  Puts News Items on the front page.
  Supports URL and directory aliases.
  Use PRIVATE keyword to keep some URLs/folders from appearing.