Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge ready for Prime Time?

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> I think the frontpage should have several things:
>
> * A logo, as discussed above
> * A brief blurb on why schoolforge, what schoolforge, etc.
> * A list of 'core partners' (perhaps in the bottom left), partly for
>   legitimacy, partly to pass people to their sites.
> * Headlines (new stuff) from news places like opensourceschools and
>   (in the future) app indexes. We should pull these dynamically from
>   the other sites.
> * A list of resources, pointing to all the different places that
>   provide each. I think this should be the main content on the schoolforge
>   front page. It should be based on the "Critical Linux Resources"
>   list I keep sending out. I'll work up a model of that in a bit.
>
> Please disagree with me.

I didn't have a chance to post today, as I was very busy at work.  I
think I should explain myself here in response to David's concerns.

If the coalition announcement isn't ready by Monday, so be it.  I wanted
to be able to devote my Linux in education report to it, but I'd rather
do it right than do it quickly.  Still, I think we should see if we can
get it in "announcable" shape by then.

I don't think that the coalition site should be just an alphabetical
list of member sites.  If that's all we want, we can point to the
SEUL/edu links page, or pretty much anyone else's list of educational
links.  I think it should have topical links, probably with attribution
to the project actually providing them.  Thus, it could say,
"Educational News, from OpenSourceSchools," "Linux Guides, from K12OS,"
"Linux in Schools Case Studies, from SEUL/edu," etc.  These links would
go to the member sites rather than be mirrored on the coalition site.  I
think Roger's description above is fairly close to what I'm thinking of.

As Roger says, it's pretty easy to dynamically pull headlines from other
sites.  We should think about that.

I think Felipe has a good idea in that we should have a longer, more
conversational document than a mission statement to tell the world what
the coalition is about and what we hope to accomplish.  David, would you
do us the honor of writing a draft of that?

I'll see if I can't write up a draft announcement for LinuxPR/LinuxToday
and post it here.  BTW, I don't seem able to login to Linux PR at the
moment.  Does anyone else have an account there who'd be willing to post
the announcement whenever it's ready?

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--