Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Fwd: Public comment]

FAX comments on the school oriented Microsoft private antitrust
settlement to Judge Motz at (410) 962-7574.

Bill's message is appropriate for the private case settlement, but
e-mail addressed to the public case settlement e-mail address.
Please note that there are two (2) main antitrust settlements,
private and public, pending against Microsoft.

1) About 100 private antitrust suits are consolidated in US Ditrict
Court before Judge Motz in Baltimore, fax comments to (410) 962-7574
heading Microsoft Private Settlement.  [This is the proposed
settlement for the schools, for which Red Hat made a proposal.
Comments about money for schools should be faxed to Baltimore.
Governments, whether federal or state, are not party to the private
case settlement.  See recent developments at:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100487,00.html?chkpt=zdnnh121001

cited in [seul-edu] the microsoft appeasment on the the settlement

and

2) The public antitrust suit by the US Deparment of Justice and state
attorneys general is in the U.S. District Court in Washington, DC.
Send comments on the public settlement to microsoft.atr@usdoj.gov  In
the subject line of the e-mail, type "Microsoft Settlement".
[ The proposed public settlement has "conduct remedies" and a three
person technical oversight board.  I also propose that Microsoft be
required to change the confusing and "merely descriptive" names of
its windows interface software "Windows," its database access
software "Access", it mindsharing users group program "Mindshare
Users Group Program", etc.  See below at bottom.]

> > From: Bill <selinux@home.com>
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > Subject: Fwd: Public comment
> >
> > This is my contribution toward a reasonable settlement of the DOJ
> > Microsoft Corporation anti-trust matter.
> >
> > Since I also posted on the schoolforge site urging others to send
> > e-mail on this matter while the public comment period remains
> open, I
> > thought it proper that I demonstrate my own follow-through of my
> own
> > advice.
> > Bill

Comment on Microsoft public case re:  Microsoft's Confusing Product
Names

Trademark law is regulated by the U.S. federal government.

The public antitrust case could require Microsoft to desist from use
of its "generic" and "merely descriptive", and confusing names, such
as "Windows" for software that uses a windows interface, "Access" for
software to access a database, and Microsoft's "Mindshare" Users
Group Program, as in mindsharing used in Open Source Software
development under the GPL, etc.  We should be able to refer to a
windows interface, not a graphical user interface, just as we refer
to "glass" not "transparent silica interface", or "beer" not "brewed
alcohol beverage".   Company that tried to call their products "Glass
brand glass, i.e. transparent silica interface" or "Beer brand beer,
i.e. brewed alcohol beverage" would be prohited under trademark law,
and laugheded out of town --unless they were too big to fight.
See:  http://www.kuesterlaw.com/goodtm.html
What Makes a Good Trademark:  (1) distinctive marks; (2) suggestive
marks; and (3) not merely descriptive terms; and (4) not generic
terms.
Descriptive and generic terms should never be used as trademarks. An
effort should be made to avoid use in the trademark of terms which
have a specific meaning in the relevant industry since such terms
tend to make a mark either descriptive or suggestive.
http://www.intelproplaw.com/Trademark/Forum/msg/638.shtml :
Trademark denied as "merely descriptive" use of the word "booth".
http://www.kentlaw.edu/student_orgs/jip/trade/beer.htm  :  Trademark
denied to "The Best Beer in America" as generic, "merely descriptive"
puffery.