Re: [seul-edu] Third draft of letter of invitation

> The goals of Schoolforge
>
> Members of the Schoolforge Coalition have the common goal of
> advocating the use of free and open source tools and curricula in
> education and assisting in their successful use and maintenance.  We
> aim to make our individual efforts more effective and efficient by
> collaborating and focusing on them, because we are convinced that
> free and open source solutions are right for education.  The road to
> free and open source technology and curricula is the road to
> effective and sustainable school program development.

I think I had assumed that because the name had forge in it that
schoolforge would become a foundry for software development in the
educational arena. (as in sourceforge) Looks like I was wrong and that
the more I read the more it seems to be another advocacy site for linux
or os in education.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

>"The road to free and open source technology and curricula is the road
to effective and sustainable school program development."

I also agree with a previous post that the use of the term free can be
misleading.  This is because the road to effective and sustainable
school program development also relies on effective and sustainable
school  os software. I am doubtful that this can really be maintained on
a long term basis by developers in just their spare time. I think a
better approach is just to use the words open - source. I believe an
inexpensive subscription system is the best way to create good software
that keeps the developers in the educational open source setting .
Myles O'Meara
schoolmation.net