Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge initial public announcement

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Matt Jezorek wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:10:33 -0500
> From: Matt Jezorek <matt@bluelinux.org>
> To: seul-edu@seul.org
> Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge initial public announcement
>
> Do you even think CNN, NBC, FOX will consider running a story or the
> announcement?

Matt:
Honestly, I think that answer is "yes" some $bigname places will play it,
if approached properly, or given the right angle. Others will not.

It is really up to their corporate whims to decide what is good news for
their ratings, but I am not concerned with their ratings.

If we never give them a chance, if we don't approach them, then there is
less chance that they will announce or relay a 10-second sound byte or
article about SchoolForge.net.

I think our greatest chances for our press release being run lie in the
internet publication sphere, as opposed to the TV sphere. But this is not
so bad, remember, all the big TV news orgs have websites, and web news
also.

I've got reporter-contacts at WIRED and Washington Post, that would either
go for it, turn it down, or point me to the proper reporter, who might be
interested.

Just to clarify, I am not saying we should aim to please $bigname news
places, I am seeking a list of news places that you figure would bring
benefit to SourceForge, if they run our story.

It could be the local newspaper of your county for what it is worth, or
maybe a listing of your favorite internet news websites, like slashdot,
newsforge, internet.com, etcetera..

I am sure, that "if we build it, they will come..."

Thanks for any more thoughts,

   -Karl