Re: [seul-edu] free software / open source

Folks, please go to the Free Software Foundation, and check out their
definition of Free Software
(http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html). Then go to the Open Source
Initiative, and check out their definition of Open Source Software
(http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html).

Free Software is in general use in the free/open source world to refer
to software that meets the FSFs "four freedoms" criteria. Open Source
generally refers to software that meets the nine criteria enumerated by
the Open Source Initiative as the Open Source Definition.

The BSD/MIT/X11 style of license allows anyone to do anything with the
code, even call it their own and sell it as a closed-source product. The
Gnu General Public License requires that code be redistributed (selling
it is fine) only if 100% of the source is made available for free. The
Netscape/Mozilla license tries to split the difference, requiring free
redistribution of source code, but permitting integration with some
secret code. There are other free/open as well, but this isn't the
appropriate time or place to discuss them.

The upshot of all this is that there's more than one way of licensing
source-available software, and we are the richer for the variety.
Apache, for instance, is BSD licensed, as are the many BSD operating
systems. Linux, and countless apps that ride along with it in the GNU
operating environment, are GPL. There are benefits and drawbacks to each
licensing and distribution model.

As advocates for open computing in schools, we must not descend into
counterproductive licensing wars on this list. As end users, rather than
programmers, the vast majority of educational users will never be
affected by the strictures of these licenses, knowing only their
benefits. If our first obligation is to education, we should remain
scrupulously agnostic on the various licenses, and their inclusion in
our mission. If it's free or open sourced, it should be within our
ambit, provided its license meets either the Free or Open Source definition.

As for our choice of verbiage, I can only speak for myself as a native
speaker of American English. To avoid confusion, I usually refer
generically to the source-available software in question as
"source-available software", "Free or Open Source Software" or
"Free/Open Source Software." They're all a mouthful, but prevent
Stallman explosions, and seem to make other license warriors happy as
well. They carry with them the burden of having to explain one's self,
but the topic bears explanation.

My two cents, and back into lurk mode.

--William Abernathy