[seul-edu] Moving to an open method in education [was Re: Standards and Requirements]

Michael Hall wrote:

> As a teacher working at the chalkface, I have a couple of comments on
> these basically good ideas:
>
> 1. Open source software should become a means of letting
> state/government
> education authorities avoid their responsibilities. We all pay taxes to
> (apart from bomb the starving and dispossessed) ensure that we have a
> decent education system. Volunteerism is a wonderful thing and has built
> Linux, but I wouldn't want to see it go too far without considering what
> the state should rightfully be contributing (we are looking long-term to
> a time when Linux/OSS rules, no?).

I think you are interpreting my suggestions a little strongly, or I have not
been suitably clear. More below.

> 2. Most teachers are very very busy. Even with the technical/cultural
> resources, asking them to find time to write the curriculum as well is
> not
> an idea that will catch on immediately with the majority. Don't mean to
> be
> negative, but that's the reality. All the same, it is a great idea and I
> would dearly love to see some provision for teachers to make such
> contributions in paid time as part of their professional development.

The last thing I would want to do is to make another imposition on teachers. I
have known plenty of teachers, and they are (especially the younger ones) rather
  idealistic, and frequently extremely frustrated with the materials they are
required to work with, and the bureaucratic folderol that surrounds and
frequently impedes their task. I do not envision requiring teachers to cook up
their own curriculum. What I would encourage, however, is a sharing of folk
wisdom and expertise. These folkways could become a powerful addendum to a
bought curriculum, and eventually might even come to supplant it.

In other words, spreading the open source/free method to regimes other than
software development is the desideratum, and curriculum development is one
compelling instance under which doing so might work well.

In ye olden days, teachers were isolated. They used ditto printing to run off
things like tests and assignments. There was no method for immediately sharing
their work farther than the teacher's lounge. If a teacher came up with an
especially compelling teaching method that he or she wished to share, the means
for sharing that method were limited to annual conferences, and eventual
acceptance only after many years of tireless advocacy and perhaps independent
validation by researchers. School textbooks (and heck, this isn't even very "ye
olden") were written and produced in New York (fill in your country's business
and publishing center here), and set in stone (or at least type) for years. I
helped make those schoolbooks for a while, and was appalled at the number of
errors, including some factual ones, that slipped through the cracks. Teachers,
being intelligent, are certain to catch these errors. Ineffective lesson
planners, unsound activities, and lame readers would be foisted on teachers by
dint of a regional bureaucrat's whim, and effective teachers, I can only assume,
were forced to conjure their own workarounds at the introduction of any new
materials.

I do not know of any current online venues for teachers to share their errata,
commentary, and addenda to texts, their teaching methods, their kludges, and
their personally-crafted teaching materials. As part of our focus (not this
instant, but eventually) I would want to see us moving beyond persuading
teachers to use open source/free software and towards empowering teachers with
the open/free method in order to share their classroom-related experience. I
suspect that online venues for teachers to share folk wisdom have already
formed, but (as with the educational software projects SchoolForge is
endeavoring to conjoin) that these exist in discrete knots of duplicative activity.

What I'm suggesting is that, yes, we focus on open source technology today, and
that our focus never deviate from making the lives of teachers easier. Once our
proximate goals are reached and SchoolForge is standing more or less on its own,
we should think about unifying teachers who have no interest whatsoever in
software or computers through the open source method. It is not immediately
important or desirable for teachers to build curricula from scratch. It is
immediately important and desirable for teachers to be able to interpret and
improve upon a curriculum once they have been given it (they do so individually
already), and to share their interpretations and improvements instantly and
globally with colleagues (I don't believe this is yet done, but is technically
feasible, and awaiting only cultural acceptance/critical mass to develop).

Once (and only once) this point is reached, it becomes possible to contemplate a
future in which, having deviated from the script long enough already, teachers
may simply rely on each other, rather than on centralized publishing houses and
their own individual, isolated, and arduous reduplication of effort for teaching
materials and methods. Eventually, teachers may become confident that they can
rely on each other, rather than publishers, to enable them to hit their
educational marks.

But one thing at a time...

--WA