New Project

Hello.

By way of introduction, I'm a computer technician at a school district in
Northern British Columbia, Canada.  Our district has 27 schools and about
8,000 students.

I have set up a web-based account administration system that allows
teachers in individual school to create and manage their own student and
staff accounts.  The system is written in perl and uses DBD/DBI to access
a mysql database for storing account information.  I use custom scripts to
push this account information out to the individual school servers.

The system includes groups (district wide global groups as well as
in-school local groups), proxy authentication logging, restrictions for
web access and dialin access.

I've included a copy of the Project Outline from the SEUL-EDU webpage so
this can get posted there as well.

A demo of this system can be found at http://k12admin.cmsd.bc.ca/

Steve.

PS: Hi Keith!!

----
$PROJECTNAME=
K12AccountAdmin
$PROJECTSTATUS=
Currently in production use in our school district.  Needs work to be easily installed and setup for others to use.
$PROJECTDESCRIPTION=
I have created a web-based account administration system that allows teachers in individual schools to create and manage accounts for their own students and staff.  The accounts are created on a district wide level so that users can move from school to sc
hool and keep the same account information.  Same goes for teachers.  Also, all staff and students in the district have a common e-mail domain.<p>The system stores account information in a mysql database.  I currently have a custom set of scripts that pus
hes this account information to each of the school servers, but NIS or some other system could be used just as easily.<P>In addition, the system uses Squid's proxy authentication to monitor web browsing traffic for students and allow staff members to revi
ew logs of their students' activity.
$PROJECTURL=
http://k12admin.cmsd.bc.ca/
$PROJECTLEADER=