From: jeff williams <cfiaime@nconnect.net>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>
Date: Friday, February 02, 2001 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Need help with dying SCSI drive

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, you wrote:

> Anybody,
>     The boot drive on my classroom server, /dev/sda, is in the process of dying. etc
> Thanks,
> Dave Prentice
> prentice@instruction.com

Greetings!

This happened to my IDE drive a couple of months ago at the University, and I recently replaced the 10 gig with a 20 gig on my system at home.
Do all of this in single user mode to keep things easy...
Ok, you've made your partitions and done the mke2fs on them from what I understand.  (If not, after you partition, you need to "make" the file system mke2fs /dev/sdd1
for each partition of Linux you are going to transfer.  The rest is easy.
Mount each partition in turn on a temporary mount point (I call mine /transfer).
mount -t ext2 /dev/sdd1 /transfer
Then for every partition EXCEPT FOR / you can issue
cp -Rp /usr/* /transfer
This copies all of the files and directories from /usr to /transfer preserving
the structure and dates, etc.

etc.

This procedure has worked for me.  Good luck.

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
jeff.williams@cuw.edu