Re: [seul-edu] SEUL/edu apps CD-ROM

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Douglas Loss wrote:

> Here's a newsflash for you.  A bunch of us at LinuxWorld last
> week talked about how to make all the software we've found with
> educational uses more easily available for use in schools.  We
> decided to work on getting as many apps as possible packaged as
> both RPMs and DEBs and putting them on a SEUL/edu CD-ROM.  We
> already have tentative committments from some first-class RPM
> packagers to help, and we think (Ben Armstrong, are you
> listening?) that we can get the Debian Jr folks to do the same
> for the DEBs.

One other person that might be willing to package some of the apps as
DEBs... Nick care to speak up?

One good thing would be to find a debian maintainer to put them into the
main debian tree.  If that is not possible we will want to setup an apt
source that can be added to your apt sources.conf.

> Once the packages are put together, we plan to
> develop a menu system that will allow the user to select which
> packages to install and then install them all properly.
>
> We know that CheapBytes <http://www.cheapbytes.com> will make
> such a CD-ROM available, and we think we can get it included
> with some of the various Linux distros, such as Debian andd
> Mandrake.  We think this will be a significant step forward in
> making Linux easily usable for education.

Yep.  I am still on the list though I don't have much time right now.

I will be writing a paper for Linux World San Fran... I will try to post a
draft by sunday for people on the list to review.

Also we need to start talking about arangements for Linux World San Fran.
Anyone in the area please email my OSEF address (hmcgregor@osef.org).

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder