[seul-edu] Linux World San Fran speaker proposal

Well, it turns out that the call for Papers was not as much a call for
papers as a call for abstracts.  I have submited this proposal to IDG
through the webform for the topic of Linux in Education - a Case Study.

Speaker name:		Harry McGregor
Speaker title:		CEO
Company/Affiliation:	Open Source Education Foundation (OSEF)
Address:		P.O. Box 26388
City:			Tucson			State: AZ	Zip:
85726-6388

Bio:

While in school, they always said the computer situation was better at the
next level...  By high school I had determined that a serious problem
existed with educational technology.

In late 1997 a friend who worked for the school district requested my
assistance.  A local school had received a donation of computers, and the
district felt they lacked the manpower and software to support them.  In
cooperation with school administrators the Corbett Elementary Lab Project
began.

For more than three years I have been working to enhance technology for
education through the use of OSS, this includes Co-Founding OSEF.

Company:

 The Open Source Education Foundation (OSEF) was founded on the idea that
technology in education should prepare students to excel with technology.
It is the role of educators to help students become productive members of
society. OSEF researches and develop the tools required to ensure that
educators and students alike have the information needed to succeed in our
technological society.

About The Session:

This session is on the development/implementation of the GNU/Linux
computer lab at Corbett Elementary School (K-5), see local newspaper
article on the OSEF website, http://www.osef.org.

Topics to be covered:  Interfacing with school personnel, issues with
overhauling an existing network,  facilities limitations, funding sources,
software applications, testing of windows applications under WINE, and the
involvement of volunteers from the GNU/Linux users group (www.tfug.org)
and the community college.

I should have drafts of a paper and slide show presentation within the
month.  Anyone with coments, ideas they would like covered, etc, please
let me know.

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder