[seul-edu] Need advice

To all y'all experienced guys out there,
    I am putting together a file server for my classroom that is going to be much faster that what has been there before. (From a 486 with a 100mhz Overdrive and 40 meg to a 200 mhz dual Pentium Pro with over 100 meg - should be just a little quicker.)
    A few questions:
1. All ten clients run Redhat 6.2, as does the old server. Should I load the same on the new one, or upgrade to 7.0? I've become rather familiar with 6.2, so I'm wondering if there is enough advantage to make it worthwhile?
2. Will I need to do something special when installing to take advantage of the dual processors?
3. I will probably have a 1 gig and a 2 gig drive available. Is there a "best" way to partition them? At first, there will not be any xterms running off the server, but should I do anything special to reserve space for later just in case? For now, all I really need is /home to be available for read/write, and /opt and /usr/local for read only.
    In RH 6.2 with /boot, /home, /usr, /opt, and ./usr/local on separate partitions, the root partition only takes about 100 to 120 meg. Would it be sufficient to reserve about 200 meg for /, 500 meg for /home, 128meg for swap and 12 meg for boot on one drive, while putting about 500 meg for /opt and the rest for /usr on the other drive? Or is it better to make /usr/local a separate partition?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com