[seul-edu] Australian Educational Mini Conf - 2004

Hi There,

I just thought I'd say that I have rather foolishly offered to act as
lead organiser for the Australian Educational Mini Conoference in 2004
following Leon Brook's superb effort in 2003. For the first ever
gathering of its type in Australia we attracted from 30- 45 attendees at
the mini-conf.

Speakers ranged from people involved in Government policy and direction
to people who implemented open sourcelinux solutions in their
educational institutions.

We weren't just focussed on local or Australian speakers--somehow Leon
had managed to attract a speaker from Michigan who provided a very funny
anecdote. He'd set a task for his students to try to "hack" his computer
but not set a "finish date" for such activities. So when he discovered,
some time later in the term, that he'd been "hacked" the particular
perpertrator's reply was "...but you said we should try to...".

(btw...I understand said student got the bonus points)

So, this was just a hands up to say that the Aussie guys aren't going to
drop the ball and we're going to build on this. It's mainly just to say,
it's happening again.

[no, I don't have an official site, programme committee or such -- it's
currently just me with Leon saying he thinks it's worth it and he'll
help - these will be announced soon]

DSL