RE: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 12:11, Chris Puttick wrote:
> At risk of starting a distro war, you've only included one "consumer" level
> distro. Anyone who's going to use this ISO in schools is going to have to
> use a "brand-name" distro to help make the case (at least in the UK). I'd
> have thought the average Debian/Slackware user would have had no problem
> locating and installing these apps (preferably compiled from source (-: ).
> The target are newbies, and they are most likely to buy a distro from Amazon
> or their local computer store: Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake are the ones seen
> here.

No war here, Chris.  The intent is to provide a CD that is installable
on the widest variety of distros possible.  In most cases, that will
mean RPMs, although DEBs will be used on a fair number of distro
possibilities.  So as not to have an impossible task in supporting every
possibility in detail, we're specifying FHS compliance as a
requirement.  LSB compliance would be a plus, but since that requires
special libraries on some distros we're not making it a requirement.  I
certainly want to see our packages tested as widely as possible, as
we're hoping the CD can be useful to distro manufacturers to customize
their distros for educational use.  We'd like to see specialty distros
like K12OS, kmLinux, AbulEdu, etc., take whatever they find useful from
our work and incorporate it in their distros too.

I haven't said it before (I don't think), but it seems to me that
DebianEdu will be pretty much exactly the Debian version of our ISO.  Or
looking at it another way, our ISO will be an RPM and TGZ version of
DebianEdu.  That's assuming we package all our apps for Debian first and
use the DEBs as the source for the other packages.  I don't know if that
means we won't need to include the DEBs on our CDs or not--I"d like some
discussion on that.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss              All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net      ignorance and confidence,
                       and then success is sure.
                         Mark Twain