Re: [seul-edu] SEUL/edu Mission

Darryl Palmer wrote:
What exactly is the Mission of SEUL/edu and should the ISO project be
inline with it?

The ISO project should conform to the overall mission statement of the SEUL/edu project, yes. Since the creation of Schoolforge, SEUL/edu's mission has changed slightly, which is (I think) why there's a perceived discrepancy here. I'll try to explain later.

The web page states the following:

"SEUL/edu is dedicated to furthering the use of Linux and other open
resources in education. This covers all aspects of educational uses of
Linux, by teachers, parents, and students.

That hasn't changed.

We are collecting resources that should enable the development and
deployment (with the help of interested volunteers) of various open
source software that can make Linux more desirable to educators and
parents interested in using Linux for their children's education."

I think that's accurate too.

Yet we are including software on the ISO which is not open source.  Is
this a contradiction with the mission?  It doesn't matter to me if we
include non-OSS packages or not but the problem with Kara got me
thinking.

When we started SEUL/edu, we were pretty much the only place to go if you were interested in Linux and education and how they related to one another. For that reason, we (me, mostly) decided to be very "ecumenical" about our role, accepting input from anyone who shared our interest, commercial, non-commercial, open-source, proprietary, whatever. Some folks were uncomfortable with that mixture and created purely open source forums for the discussion of Linux in education (and for all I know, purely commercial ones, althought I haven't heard of such). Those forums are doing valuable work, and we support them.

Since we created Schoolforge, that "ecumenical" discussion role was transferred to the schoolforge-discuss mailing list. Since the role of the seul-edu mailing list is now primarily to support the SEUL/edu projects, things here have changed slightly.

In the context of our App Index project, discussion of non-open-source applications is justified, in that the App Index is intended to record _all_ educationally useful applications that run on Linux. Users can make the philosophical choice of whether to use commercial apps or not for themselves, but they should know the options that are available to them.

The casestudies project doesn't really enter into the discussion, because it just chronicles what people are actually doing at their schools and doesn't engender much chat on the list.

The ISO project is where the real question lies. From the first, my intent was to provide a compilation of educationally useful applications that users could easily install on Linux systems. Since we're giving it away, the standard restrictions on distribution that commercial apps carry make them non-candidates for inclusion. Open Source and Public Domain apps are clearly includeable. The fuzzy area is apps that are licensed as "free for non-commercial use". That is non-open-source, and we can't guarantee that the people downloading our ISO will be only non-commercial entities. In at least one case, we contacted the maintainer of an app licensed in this fashion and explained what we planned. He gave us explicit permission to include his app on the ISO, which I think is adequate.

I try to steer clear of licensing issues as much as possible. My main concerns are that the apps we include be useful in scholastic settings and that the maintainers of those apps are comfortable with having them included on our ISO.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain