Re: Advocating Linux use in local schools

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:06:55 -0800, Bill Ries-Knight <brk@slip.net> wrote:

> Doug, I am in the process of convincing my wife's principal to setup some surplus donated computers on Linux vs WinDoze.  My plan is as follows....
> 1)    Determine who will run the lab (I will maintain it, but whoever teaches has to be on board.}
> 2)    Determine the hardware to be used, and what existing network topology, hardware and software is to be worked with. ( different components = different configuration)
> 3}    Determine the actual desired use of the boxes. (typing/keyboarding lessons, graphics manipulation, etc...)
> 4)    Determine the software available to meet those needs.
> 5)    Set up a Demo System, preferably at the shop, and let it be stable.
> 6)     Show the client what works, how it works, and how stable it is.
> 7)    Show a proposal.
>
> Now this is only meant as a "map" of the process, and is as flexible as it can be.  I would plan on setting up a "small" operation for minimal or no cost to the users, just as a demo and for practice.  I'm sure someone would appreciate it, and probably enjoy the publicicity/press/prestige and such that comes as others come by to see the showcase.

I agree with both you and Roman that setting the computer up by yourself and presenting the school with a fully-functioning system is best.  I didn't have that option since the school district was providing the system and has a policy against letting individuals remove equipment from the schools without extensive paperwork (which makes sense).  I took a copy of RH 5.2 along figuring I was going to be working on a PC.  When I realized we only had Macs (and not the Macs we had originally talked about) I tried to make the best of a bad situation.  At any rate, I think the door is open for further contacts and efforts.

I think your map of the process makes good sense.  Given the authority to carry it out as you've described it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by
(717) 326-3987       the corrupt few.
                        George Bernard Shaw