Re: Linux in the Education System

Hello, Colin!
(I am cc-ing this to seul-edu as I think it is appropriate there)

>Hi Roman,  thanks for the email.

Some time ago I wanted to  write  an  article  to  one  of  our
journals which cover computer science in the  schools.  I  have
not  succeed  in  that,  because  there  are  actually  several
"levels" (aspects) at which Linux (or any other technology)  at
schools can be seen:

1 - technical level    (how to setup)
2 - user level         (how to use technology)
3 - educational level  (how to learn/teach technology)
4 - selection level    (what to setup)
5 - applied level      (how to learn/teach any subjects
                        with the help of technology OR
                        use for school administration)

(of course, it is imposible to go to  the  next  level  without
covering underlying ones).

'Computer geeks' are usually good at levels 1 and 2,  they  can
help  at  level  4  also.  But  usually  the  goal  of  setting
informational technology at schools is the level 5.

Teachers are usually good at levels 3 to 5 and  directors  must
be experts of level 5. (Sometimes they intrude into the level 4
and that is not good.)

And it must be kept in mind that usually teachers aren't  happy
when they are told  how  to  teach,  what  methodology  to  use
(levels 4 and 5, and  computer  science  teachers  at  level  3
also).

However, as I understood, some school has it as  a  requirement
to use the methodology they are known for. So, it could be less
problem at such schools.

Now, what is the situation with Linux?

level 1 is covered in usual Linux support groups and by
        turn-key solution providers;
level 2 is covered by numerous books about Linux;
level 3 is something UNIX is being criticised for, I can't
        see any super-difficulties though;
level 4 is about finding educational software; there is not
        so much choice yet, unfortunately;
level 5 is what seul-edu is solving;

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi