Re: new eduml dtd

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 01:17:36PM -0800, Bill Ries-Knight wrote:
> Instead of this format, can y'all accept a database set of a full class
> grade book.  I could pull one of my wife's old grade books an submit it,
> identity neutralized of course.  What can see is building a spreadsheet
> version, with or without cell modifications.... Just let me know.

Yes! I think it is time to start exporting data from our legacy educational
admin programs and writing conversion scripts from the various private
export formats into EDUML.  Well, OK; let's do it for at least one so we can
do a reality check on EDUML DTD.  I hope to do this with my class this
coming week by using PERL to convert export data from "remark" (TM).

> Daniel Moore wrote:
> > Real world data sets can help determine what EDUML needs and can do
> > without.  In addition, validating such a set against a DTD tells what
> > parts of the DTD need work.
> >
> > On the other hand, I imagine that creating such data sets with a text
> > editor would be a pain.  So perhaps the return isn't worth the effort?

I tried doing this by hand and found it too mind-numbing :-(

So far, I have a nice collection of XML extracting/query tools so that it is
now very "grep"-like to get just the relevant information from any XML
file.  I am now looking forward to finding simple sharp tools for XML
data-entry and updating; preferably in linux tty mode or web-browser mode.
This should make it more enjoyable and efficient to write sample XML files.

Bruno