From: Richard Leyton <rleyton@acm.org>
Subject: leap v1.2.5 - Free RDBMS
Date: Thu,  7 Jan 1999 01:29:55 GMT

I'm pleased to announce the release of version 1.2.5 of LEAP.

Briefly, LEAP is a free RDBMS that is used as an educational tool in
Universities around the world to aid the students as they learn database
theory.

Full details are available on the LEAP web page:

http://www.dogbert.demon.co.uk/leap.html

LEAP is entirely free (it is distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License), and is very easy to install. All distributions
contain the full 'C' source code. Versions exist for all Unix
implementations (including Linux), and recently a Windows 95/NT GUI has
been developed. Full documentation is, of course, included in the
distribution.

New features in this release include:

* A 'compact' operator to reclaim the space wasted in tuples
  after multiple update/delete commands
* A modified 'list' operator to include the 'updated' and 'temporary'
  status flags from leaprel.
* System relations are kept more accurate as relations change.
* A large number of bugs have been fixed
* A significant memory leak has been resolved.
* Update operator is fully documented.

LEAP can be downloaded from the SunSite archive, and the Demon FTP
server:

ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/compsci/databases/leap/leap-1.2.5.tar.gz
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming/leap-1.2.5.tar.gz (now)
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/database/relational (when placed)

The web site includes links to these, and other web sites where LEAP is
mirrored.

Regards,

Richard Leyton.

- --