Re: Another Potentially Educational Tool Available

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, you wrote:
>... and this time it is a geographic resources analysis support system (GRASS).
>TThe url is at http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/
>
>>From the page:
>
>	"GRASS is a public-domain raster-based GIS,
>	 vector GIS, image processing system,
>	 graphics production system, and
>	 spatial modeling system."
>
>Source code is available for UNIX and MS-Windows.
Small correction, the Unix version is free.  MS-Windows port is not.  I
played with it for a while but have not gotten enough into it to make a
real usefullness evaluation of than it would take a really big learning
curve to become familiar with it.  Also it is hard to come up with premade
data sets for base information.  USGS has some limited data available in
selected areas.  It also has a bit of an odd install that helped convince me
to make a reinstallation of linux.

David Kirtley.