Translation etc.

To all,

I am quite behind in my project work for Linux. (Translation stuff) This does not mean that the project is dead. I will be using our schools resources to insure that this project can be maintained for a long time. (I am both the owner and the headmaster so I have more freedom to initiate and develop projects.) We will be somewhat cyclical in our work. That is, during the summer time I will have several college students working as interns and our own students will have time to work on a variety projects. Accordingly, we will be setting up and developing in the summer and maintaining during the fall, winter and spring.

I see our work proceeding in this manner. (Please, feel free to critic any and all aspects of this.) Our students will be taught how to set up a web page which will inform Linux users of all aspects concerning language extensions, international usage, and translations of documents. Furthermore, I would like to have a core list of necessary documents which should be translated.

Some details. It would be nice to have an online datebase of programs which work well with internationalization. The database should be sorted by language. In other words we should be able to go to the site and find programs, documents, etc. for any language. Ideas on how to best handle this are welcome.

I would like to have some documents in English, at least in the beginning, on international usage. Example, some westerners think that esperanto would be better because it is not English. Either I, or someone else, maybe from Russia, could write something about this. (The problem with Esperanto is that we have enough problems keeping up with English which is a useful language. To learn Esperanto just to understand some tags would be too much.)

Documents. I would like to ask the group to carefully consider what documents should be considered essential for Linux set up and initial usage. If we had a set list it would be easy to develop centers for new users to access information. Finding translators is not difficult it is organizing what should be translated which is difficult.

Programs etc. It would be nice to have a site which has comments on particular programs and how they work in different languages. Example, Netscape stuff is set up quite nicely for Chinese but I don't know about other languages. KDE desktop seems to be a very nice way to implement language support. You can list three different languages so that if your primary language is not supported you can use a second language. Does anybody use KDE? I like the way it handles language but have no interest in using it. (I prefer a minimilist approach to my desktop and just run WindowMaker.)

Cordially,
S. Barret Dolph
Headmaster
White Horse English Development Center
Taipei Taiwan

PS. If you can't read the attachement don't worry it is just my address card in a Netscape attachment.

begin:vcard
n:Dolph;S. Barret
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.angelfire.com/on/WhiteHorse/index.html
org:White Horse English Development Center
version:2.1
email;internet:white129@ms7.hinet.net
title:Headmaster
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1