Re: EDU How-Tos

Bill Tihen wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> To address the Title Issue -- why don't we start the title of all of them
> with EDU HowTo -- has a nice rhyme anyway.

I like "EDU HowTo" too !

> For the English department I need an appropriate word processor.  Applix is
> great (I personally use it) but the license fee is just too high for the
> lab.  Maxwell if it was just a little more refined.  It has a few little
> bugs that make it difficult to use.  StarOffice is good, but its very
> resource hungry and many of our machines aren't up for StarOffice.

Well, that's precisely the reason why SIAG is a good idea. I know it's
not perfect yet, but there are improving quickly. I think you all should
at least have a look.
("http://www.edu.stockholm.se/siag/index.html")

(I
> could try a network version, but I haven't found any documentation on how
> to do that -- I have just heard it is possible, but haven't figured it out
> yet).  However, I have great hopes for the GNOME project, maxwell's slow
> progress and also wait with baited breath for the new OpenSource
> WordProcessor.  LyX works but it is a little odd, so I am trying to hold
> out for something that works as expected.  KDE is a little too far out of
> our reach for the same reasons as the StarOffice.  Many textbooks assume
> that you are using MS Office or MW Works.  We would need some good
> tutorials for these 2 programs to make up for the lack of text books.  It
> would be a lot of work, but I suppose I could help with that.
>
> Everything else does what we need.  But productivity software and edu math
> software are lacking.

For the edu math stuff, I'm trying hard.
(I'll ask somebody to translate my web pages)
And Roman Suzi'work could be very useful too.

--
Odile Benassy,
fonctionnaire, Orleans, France