Re: [seul-edu] SIF's Zone Integration Server(

No, it handles the XML traffic between the clients (performs cacheing
and authentication, etc.)

From the spec:
=====
Zone Architecture
Although there are many variations of SIF topographies, the common
feature is that a number of applications wish to share data. All SIF
implementations regardless of their complexity consist of one or more
applications with their associated interface agents all being managed by
a Zone Integration Server (ZIS).

<snip>

Applications rely on their agent to exchange data using a predefined
data model. [XML - Eric]  Agents then communicate with other agents
using the ZIS as a routing resource. The ZIS also provides access
control so the customer can control what applications have access to
what SIF data.

<snip>

The Zone Integration Server is the central integration point for all the
agents in a zone. The ZIS must support all the messages that are
specified in the SIF Message Specification. Depending on the message
type, ZIS either saves information in the messages that it receives or
forwards the messages to an appropriate agent or zone.

<snip>

The ZIS implementer is free to internally manage registration and access
permissions information in any form that the implementer supports. In
order to provide an example of how an administration system may be
structured, this document describes a database consisting of Providers,
Subscribers, Agents, and Access Control.
=====

SIF seems to use XML more as a language to use between clients, rather
than as a storage format, although it could probably be used for
either.  It looks like they intend to allow the clients to use whatever
file format they want, with an "agent" that speaks SIF-XML to send and
receive data.

-Eric