[seul-edu] ISO project update

I just finished going through the Application Index and adding every application that either was written by or for a teacher or school, or specifically mentioned that it was in use at a school somewhere, to the ISO Phase 2 list <http://www.seul.org/edu/Phase2.txt>. Some of the apps have websites in languages I don't read, so I may have missed a few apps that are used in schools. Also, some of the listed URLs for some apps don't resolve; I fixed some of those when I could, but fixing them all is a separate, large task.

If any of you reading this message are project leaders for projects listed in our App Index, please look at the URL listed above. If you know that your app is being used in schools and it isn't listed there, let me know and I'll add it.

It's now time to get on with the Phase 1 evals of the remaining apps. We tried to do this informally a while ago, and that didn't work very well. Here's what we'll do this time. If you're willing to help us in this (it's easy; see <http://www.seul.org/edu/Phase1.html>), send me an email by next Wednesday, January 15. In it, state what categories you feel comfortable evaluating. I'll compile all the responses into one list and hand out assignments for the evals with reasonable deadlines. If you aren't associated with a formal education institution, it would be a good idea (although not absolutely necessary) to find someone who is to help with the evals. That way we can have a better chance of what we're doing fitting the needs of the educational community as it (rather than we) sees them.

In the meantime we can get started with packaging the apps we already have listed as passing Phase 2. I need someone to volunteer to check the apps listed against Debian's package lists <http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages>, against DebianEdu's Metapackages lists <http://wiki.debian.net/DebianEdu>, and against the list of RFPs <http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/>. Anything that isn't listed there needs to have an RFP posted. If you don't know how to do that, we can surely find someone to help. (Right, Raphaël?) We also will need people with Debian packaging experience to help create the packages ourselves, as we can't expect others to do _all_ our work for us. I'm calling for volunteers for that, too.

That's it for now. I'm waiting to hear from you. I think we can get something very nice done fairly quickly if we just put our will to it!

--
How valuable is my contribution?
Share your feedback at Affero:

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain