[seul-edu] Re: newSLATE listing in the SEUL/edu Educational Applications IndexRe: newSLATE listing in the SEUL/edu Educational Applications Index

I just received this from Marsha Hopp at newSLATE. It seems like an honest enough mistake. I'll explain to her kindly why we're removing the record from our Index. Does anyone here know of some alternative listing of educational web services that we can direct her to? It's always good to be polite and helpful to people when you can.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2003-01-20 15:28:48 -0500
From: Marsha Hopp <marsha@newslate.com>
Subject: Re: newSLATE listing in the SEUL/edu Educational Applications Index

Hi Doug,

I came across your site this morning and added the record for newSLATE. If
it doesn't meet your requirements, I apologize for the inconvenience. I
submitted the record as "commercial license" -- I don't know why it showed
up otherwise. newSLATE is currently delivered as a Java applet. If you have
Java installed, then you should see the link in the upper left of the
newSLATE web page as the "click to enter" graphic. (If you don't have Java
installed, you won't see it.) In the future, newSLATE will also be offered
through Java Web Start, in a more traditonal installed setup.

It is not server software.

Yours,

Marsha

Marsha Hopp, Ph.D.
ZigZag, Inc.
marsha@newSLATE.com
+1-301-990-7453

newSLATE is your personal learning workspace
...on the web at http://www.newSLATE.com/

Marsha,

Someone added this record
<http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulview.pl?recnum=604> about
newSLATE to the SEUL/edu Educational Applications Index today.
I've looked over your website and have a few questions.

Our record has newSLATE listed as being licensed under the GNU
General Public License, but the terms of use on your website are
completely incompatible with the GPL.  Was this listing an
oversight?  Also, the record shows a download URL of
<http://www.newslate.com>, but I can't find any link there that
allows downloading of the application.  Could you give us a URL
for that?

The SEUL/edu App Index is intended for educational software that
runs on Linux, which in this case would mean that the newSLATE
software should be available for download so schools can set up
their own newSLATE servers.  We have previously listed
educational websites that can be accessed from Linux client
machines (when we were still starting up and didn't have a clear
concept of how the Index would be used), but we're removing those
from the Index as we come across them.

Please let me know the answers to these questions so we can
create an accurate record.  Thank you.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss                 Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator  fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University     not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu           Mark Twain

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss All you need in this life is
drloss@suscom.net ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
Mark Twain