Re: A renewed request

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:14:45 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Doug Loss wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what "copying commerce" means.  If it means finding or
>> building Linux alternatives to current educational software, then that's
>> just what we're looking to do.
>
> So we're promoting Linux!
>
> What are we doing to PROMOTE Linux? Is finding alternatives a good method to promote
> Linux? Or is it better to offer something new and innovative that other OSs don't have?
> Something that demonstrates the unique support and community spirit of the Linux
> community instead of the commercial, 'plugging a hole in the market'.
>
> Remember that the media is geared towards seeing Linux projects as copying people like
> Microsoft to compete with them. It's a sort of rebellious delinquent hackers outlook
> that the press has.

Yes, finding alternatives _is_ a good method to promote Linux.  If we can't
show educators that Linux can allow them to do everything they already do with
other systems, they won't consider it.  That I'm sure of.  As you say, many
administrators already want to dismiss it as not useful to their schools.
Having something new and innovative to offer is important, but it's like trying
to add floors to a building without installing a firm foundation.

Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by
(570) 326-3987       the corrupt few.
                        George Bernard Shaw