Re: intranets

Rob Bellville wrote:

> At 13:33 7/5/99 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> >The question is what are people doing with intranets right now in schools
> >and what can we do to expand on this?
>
> In my school district, we use the IntraNet to deliver bookmarks and a
> convenient search engines page. I also would like to expand it to include
> easy access to clip art and images for student reports, etc.

Accessing clipart and resources like that's a good use of the resource.

> Eventually,
> I'd like to include more administrative information for staff and students.
> We also have a internal project page that gets copied to our Internet
> server so that parents at home can see what their kids are doing.

So does this say what programs the kids are using? Someone here's compiling a
list of alternatives and would like to know what programs are being used out
there right now on Windoze/mac.

> I also guess that our SchoolMail program, a web to email interface, could
> be considered on our IntraNet, too. I use a custom modified version of
> Enymion's MailMan and it works beautifully!Email users can access their
> school email (with a similar interface like HotMail) from any Internet
> capable computer anywhere.
>
> I guess our biggest obstacle to expanding the IntraNet is time. We are all
> very busy and dedicating the time for additional projects requires a lot of
> schedule shifting. I'm going to set up on our administrative network a way
> for our central office to easily post documents that can be accessed by our
> staff via a browser. Even if they remain in MS Word 97 format I can launch
> Word on the client machine since we have MS Office97 installed on every
> machine.

Word will export HTML then you can have an interface to publish this data.

Well I think that my idea is to have an intranet pack of useful resources for
the Linux server. Then all the machines on a network will be able to access it
regardless of their OS.

I think at this stage ideas are most important so if there's not enough time to
actually add additonal projects maybe some ideas for projects could come up in
conversation whilst in the staff room and then end up here!

Roman.