Re: EDUCATIONAL LINUX THREAD -NEW

>I think what people might need is different little distributions for
different
>things instead of those big generic jobs like Redhat. For instance, an old
computer
>installation/cheap computer installation, a print server installation. All
with the
>simplest possible installation interface. But then we get the problem of
detecting
>hardware etc. etc. The same probs. that the bigger distributions have
right now.

Ah, here is a point I'm fond of promoting. I am a firm believer in THIN
SERVERS. After administering numerous NT servers I became even more
convinced that a server should do one or two things very well rather than
supply 10-20 services. Not only does it eliminate the single point of
failure but it *can* make administration easier since everything is in
small bite sized chunks. Again, this is where Linux excels. It can take a
couple of 486 machines and turn them into an elaborate set of network
resources.

My school's network is based on the thin server principle. I've had many
outside vendors come in to see my network. Many of them are quick to point
out that I have servers everywhere and that administering them is a
nightmare. Not so, I say. While it may take a little more time setting them
up initially, if they never crash, I don't need to administer much, do I?

This is another oversight I've found in the industry... specialty servers.
I have notice a few companies beginning to see the light. Small specialized
Linux distributions, like the Linux Router Project can move Linux further
into small budget businesses like schools. Pop in a floppy and you've got a
full fledged server that is highly tuned to do its job.

In schools, you tend to have a slightly technical literate person doing all
the technical work and setup. Many outsource this work and that costs big
money. If you can make idiot proof installs and configuration, you can not
only save schools tons of money but you can get Linux deeply entrenched.

- Rob

 Rob Bellville                              PO Box 515
 rob@acol.com                       Millbury, MA 01527