Re: compact distributions for old equipment

Rob Bellville wrote:

> At 11:09 7/5/99 -0700, you wrote:

> >What I can't do is identify a reasonable candidate set of applications for
> >one target grade level. (I did used to teach, and work as a sysadmin for a
> >school, but that ended 3 years ago, so I'm not current on curriculum needs.)
> >I looked at the "projects" and "software" lists at seul.org, but I find
> >myself unable to pull together a reasonable candidate set from them.
> >
> >If you could give me a better idea of what a set of apps might be -- or if
> >you can't and do repost this to the list, if someone else can -- I'll take a
> >closer look at how feasible running them on an old, limited host might be.
>
> Initially I'd like to see tutorial applications like basic math, word flash
> cards, simple sorts of basic programs. Most of these machines will probably
> be used for students in the special ed rooms who need additional help with
> the basics. Initially, I'd like to start off in the elementary levels
> (grades 1-5)

There's a good deal of info about those types of apps right here on the
seul-edu website:

Dan's Quiz Page <http://cvs.seul.org/~dkionka/quiz/>

Open Source Edicational Software
<http://www.widomaker.com/~weparent/oses.html>

Experimental Math <http://hem.fyristorg.com/edufs/expmath.html>

FlashCard
<http://dmehpi-f.epfl.ch/~hoover/flashcard/FlashCard/index.html>

Lingvisto
<ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/cai/Lingvisto-1.1.src.tar.gz>

Joe's QVocab <http://www.qvocab.seul.org/>

SVT <ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/cai/spantut-1.2.tar.gz>

Try some of these and see if they fit the need.

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a